On Tuesday, July 11, 2017, The London Knights will be hosting a night of celebration where the team and the London community will honour the life of longtime trainer Don “Branks” Brankley.
The event will take place at the Budweiser Gardens RBC Theatre, with doors opening at 6:00pm, and the ceremony beginning at 6:30pm. The public is invited to enter through Gate 1, where they may sign a memorial book and banner thanking Branks before taking a seat in the stands.
There will be several notable speakers in attendance for the event:
Mike Stubbs: London Media Personality and Voice of the London Knights.
- Mike Stubbs has been the voice of the London Knights for the past 17 years, now with AM980 and Corus Entertainment. He will be the Emcee for the event.
Sharon Brazeau: Don Brankley’s sister
Danny Syvret: London Knights Alumni
- Danny Syvret played in 199 games for the London Knights from 2001-2005, and captained the Knights to their 2005 MaterCard Memorial Cup Championship. He spent last season with the Nürnberg Ice Tigers of the DEL.
Pete James: London Media Personality
- Recognized as the Godfather of Sports throughout the London Community.
Basil McRae: London Knights Owner & Alternate Governor
- Basil McRae played three seasons for the London Knights from 1978-1981, and went on to play 576 games in the NHL. He is currently a part owner and alternate governor of the Knights, as well as serving as the Director of Player Personnel for the Columbus Blue Jackets.
David Branch: CHL Commissioner
- David Branch has served as the Ontario Hockey League Commissioner since 1979, and has served as the Canadian Hockey League President since 1996.
Brendan Shanahan: London Knights Alumni
- Brendan Shanahan played two seasons for the London Knights from 1985-1987 before going on to play 21 seasons in the NHL, where he scored 656 goals and 1354 points in 1524 games. He currently serves as the President and Alternate Governor for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations to the London Knights Alumni Foundation – Don Brankley charitable fund.